In therapy, decisions to help you get back to enjoying your life are made collaboratively. We will work together to discover what the roots of the difficulties you experience are. Your goals will inform the direction we will take toward healing and health. Some of the techniques I am trained to use that many clients have found useful include:
• Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing: Developed by Dr. Francine Shapiro, EMDR is a highly effective and well-researched treatment. EMDR has been established as a premier treatment for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. This short term therapy has been adapted to quickly and effectively serve clients with a wide range of difficulties including: addictions, negative self esteem, sleep disturbances, anxiety, panic disorders, and depression among others. Based on the Adaptive Processing Model, EMDR rapidly unlocks unprocessed memories and feelings about events and allows the mind and body’s natural healing processes to resolve previously blocked material.
• The Gottman Couples Therapy Method: Built upon over 30 years of research behind the theory. This is a pragmatic and positive approach for working with couples. Based on raising awareness of the needs of the individuals involved in the union, learning to communicate needs and increasing appreciation for each other; the Gottman Method is unique and effective. Dawna is currently on a certification track using the Gottman Method and has received advanced post Masters training in this method.
• Hypnosis: Positive change begins in the mind as well as the body. Hypnotic work helps clients experience change and learning at deeper levels of consciousness that effectively alters the client’s perceptions of the world. A valuable tool for numerous purposes including: pre and post operative procedures, healing, pain management and sleep disturbances to name a few.
• Dreamwork: Working with dreams allows individuals a direct connection with their deeper self--often referred to as the unconscious. Dreams bypass the critical attitudes of the waking mind and communicate important issues that the waking mind may be ignoring. Dreams are fascinating, rich with meaning and salient communications from our deepest self. Their meaning is individual and often shrouded in symbols and metaphor. Taking the time to explore these reservoirs of wealth is always worth the work.
• Positive Psychology & Client Centered: All work with clients is based upon an attitude of respect, unconditional positive regard and a strong co-operative relationship. We will work together to discover the roots of your difficulties and identify both the strengths you hold as well as the areas where new skills can increase your ability to cope and thrive in life.
• Emotion Focussed Therapy: Whether feelings or thoughts come first, both must be addressed in order to heal. In our society people are discouraged from expressing themselves emotionally. People are often dismissed for being "too sensitive" or feeling ‘too much’. Our emotions have information for us about what our core needs are and whether or not these needs are being met. By learning to identify, allow, experience, understand, respect and learn a flexible approach to being emotional beings, we become better equipped to cope with our emotional experience.
• Earth Psychology: Reconnecting to our roots in nature provides a lasting stable base upon which to live holistically. Few connections are more profoundly enriching and life changing than a respectful relationship with the Earth on which we depend and with our fellow inhabitants with whom we share the planet.